Defensemen practice the various types of skating they need to excel at in games.
- Defenseman lines up at the goal line in the corner of the rink.
How it Works
- Coach blows his whistle.
- Defenseman skates forward to the blue line.
- He then uses chop steps across the blue line to the middle of the ice.
- There he skates backward to the faceoff circle.
- In the faceoff circle, he pivots and skates forward to the spot on the goal line where he began the drill.
- Next, he skates to the front of the net and stops.
- Then he skates to the opposite corner.
- Run the drill for 5 to 10 minutes.
- You can run this drill from both corners at the same time to get your defensemen more work.
- Make sure players are executing good, hard stops and that they are accelerating quickly when the start skating again.