Players learn to get past a check while controlling the puck.
- Have two lines on either side of the ice, near the boards.
- A coach is also on each side, acting as the checker.
How it Works
- The coaches line up about 10 feet from the first player in line.
- Coach blows whistle or says “Go.”
- Skater must find a way to maintain control of the puck while skating around and fighting through a check from the coach.
- For example, the player could deke the coach, knock it off the boards, or just bull right through, but the coach will be attempting to ‘get in the way’ of the player.
- This is a physical drill and should be executed with a little bit of caution. The object is not to knock the players down, but to make them fight through a check with the puck.