This drill builds agility, develops quick crossover starts and improves reaction time on the skates.
- This drill can be done in each of the five circles in the rink, with four coaches (or players) at the ‘corners’ of each circle.
- The skater will start on the dot in the middle of the circle.
How it Works
- Each of the four players or coaches outside of the circle are given a number between 1 and 4.
- Coach blows his whistle or says, “Go” and then shouts one of the four numbers.
- The player in the middle of the circle must skate to that position.
- Coach continues calling numbers and player continues skating to the appropriate position until coach says, “Stop.”
- Have each player complete two reps or run the drill for a set time period – like 5 minutes.
- In this drill, skaters should be using crossover starts and then quick stops when they reach a player or coach.