Players practice stickhandling and controlling the puck in a competitive situation.
- Players pair off and set up anywhere on the ice.
How it Works
- Coach blows his whistle.
- The two players go one-on-one for 30 seconds, each trying to gain control of the puck.
- Coach blows his whistle and players skate around passing the puck back and forth for 30 seconds.
- Coach blows his whistle again and players go one-on-one for another 30 seconds.
- Run the drill for 2-3 reps (180-270 seconds).
- When they possess the puck, the players should be changing speeds and using head and body fakes to keep the defense off balance.
- On defense, players should always try to close the gap between them and the offensive player. They should also strive to always be in a balanced position.