Defensemen work on transitioning between forward and backward skating.
- Players line up at the blue line.
- Five cones are placed on the ice.
How it Works
- Coach blows his whistle or says “Go.”
- Player starts at the blue line and skates backward to the far cone.
- There he pivots forward and skates back to the top cone.
- There he executes a Defense Turn and skates backward to the next cone.
- Drill continues in this pattern until the player has skated around all the cones.
- Run the drill for 4-8 minutes or 3-5 reps.
- The most common error made by young defenseman when transitioning from forward to backward skating is leaning too far forward, which causes the player to be off balance – so keep an eye out for this.