Players practice three different types of shots – slap shot, wrist shot and a backhand shot.
- Players lineup at the blue line.
- Coach sets up on the goal line with a bucket of pucks.
- Three cones are placed strategically on the ice.
How it Works
- Coach blows his whistle or says “Go.”
- First player in line skates to the first cone and receives a pass from the coach.
- Player shoots a slap shot on goal.
- Player then skates to the second cone and receives a pass from the coach.
- Here a right-handed shot shoots a backhand and a left-handed shot shoots a wrist shot.
- Player then skates to third cone and receives a pass from the coach.
- Here right-handed shot shoots a backhand and left-handed shot shoots a wrist shot.
- You can run the drill for 5-10 minutes or until each player completes a certain number of reps, such as three.
- When receiving the puck, players should be moving their stick a little in the direction of the puck and then back to cushion the impact of the reception.
- On the shot, players should imagine a straight line in the direction of the target and they should move both hands in that direction.