Defensemen practice skating forward and backward and transitioning between the two.
- Place three pucks around the faceoff circle.
- Players start at a puck on the side of the circle.
How it Works
- Coach blows his whistle or says “Go.”
- Player skates forward to the top puck and executes a Defense Turn.
- Player skates backward to the side puck. There he opens up and escapes out going around the puck and skating forward back to the top puck.
- There he does a Defense Turn back the other way and skates backward to that side puck where he opens up and escapes out around the puck.
- Then he skates forward back to the top puck.
- Player continues this pattern until coach blows the whistle.
- Run the drill for one minute. Have each player complete 3-5 reps.
- On the escapes players should not be crossing over. Instead they should open their body and their hips and keep their head up.
- As players get more familiar with this drill they should try to go faster and faster.