Players practice skating forward with the puck and controlling it while making turns around cones.
- Place a series of cones for players to skate around in the neutral zone.
- Players line up in the corner by the goal line
How it Works
- Coach blows whistle or says, “Go.”
- First player in line skates to the cones while stickhandling a puck.
- He skates around the cones while maintaining control of the puck and then skates back to the goal line.
- Run the drill so that each player performs 2-3 reps.
- To speed up the drill, have players form two lines – one in each opposite corner. Then set up two sets of cones in the neutral zone – one for each side.
- As players get better at handling the puck you could end this drill with them taking a shot on goal as they skate back toward the goal line.