Players build the skills necessary to make the transition from forward to backward skating and from backward to forward skating.
- Players form a single file line on the goal line. You may want to place cones at the different transition areas.
How it Works
- Coach blows his whistle or says, “Go.”
- Player skates hard to the blue line.
- At the blue line, the player transfers to skating backward and goes to the faceoff dot.
- At the dot, the player switches back to forward skating and skates down to the dot in the defensive zone faceoff circle.
- There he switches back to backward skating and goes to the blue line.
- At the blue line, he once again switches to forward skating and goes to the goal line.
- Have your players complete 2-3 reps.
- Look for smooth transitions with proper fundamentals.
- You can run this drill with two lines to maximize the number of players that can be involved in this exercise.