Pits offensive and defensive players against each other one on one.
- A puck is placed behind each net.
- Offensive players line up in opposite corners of the rink.
- One defender sets up between the face-off circles at each end of the ice.
How it Works
- Coach blows his whistle.
- First offensive player in each line skates behind the net and gets the puck.
- Offensive players skate down the ice.
- As soon as offensive players get the puck, defensive players skate backward down the ice.
- Defenders must skate backward until center line. Offensive players must skate straight down the boards until center line where they can angle in to the net.
- Run the drill for 5-10 minutes.
- Defenders should attempt to skate backward at the same speed as the offensive player and be in a balanced position to react quickly to any change in movement by the offensive player.